Blackmagic Live Production and Broadcast Update
Grant Petty presents a comprehensive update from Blackmagic Design detailing an incredible array of new and updated products that, while primarily targeting broadcast, live production, events and studios, also deliver affordable and powerful future proof solutions for web producers, churches, schools and corporate video content.
Blackmagic Design Introduces URSA Broadcast
The world’s most affordable and flexible professional HD and Ultra HD broadcast camera for live production and studio programs, at the same price of a DSLR camera!
February 1, 2018 – Blackmagic Design today announced Blackmagic URSA Broadcast, a new high end, professional broadcast camera designed for both studio programming and live production. URSA Broadcast works with existing B4 broadcast HD lenses, can be used for both HD and Ultra HD production, features a 4K sensor, extended video dynamic range, traditional external controls and buttons, built in optical ND filters, dual CFast and dual SD card recorders, and much more. Blackmagic URSA Broadcast is available now from Broadcast Bruce!
Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Key Features
- 4K sensor, extended video dynamic range, traditional external controls and buttons, built in optical ND filters, dual CFast and dual SD card recorders.
- Advanced HD and Ultra HD broadcast camera with 2/3” B4 mount.
- New extended video mode with better dynamic range and colour fidelity producing images with amazing texture and detail, accurate skin tones, vibrant colour and high dynamic range.
- Full electronic B4 lens control support for adjusting focus, iris and zoom using the camera’s controls, or remotely from an ATEM switcher or ATEM Camera Control Panel.
- Built in dual SD/UHS-II and C-Fast card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality.
- Records 1080i or 2160p video into standard .mov files using DNx145, DNx220X or ProRes for compatibility with existing broadcast systems and workflows. Standard .mxf will be added in future updates.
- Support for DNxHD 220X, DNxHD 145, Apple ProRes 4444 XQ QuickTime, ProRes 4444 QuickTime, ProRes 422 HQ QuickTime, ProRes 422 QuickTime, ProRes 422 LT QuickTime and ProRes 422 Proxy QuickTime, CinemaDNG RAW, CinemaDNG RAW 3:1, CinemaDNG RAW 4:1.
- High quality clear, 1/4, 1/16th and 1/64th stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation designed to specifically match the colourimetry and colour science of URSA Broadcast.
- Fully redundant controls including external broadcast controls which allow direct access to the most important camera settings such as external power switch, ND filter wheel, ISO, shutter, white balance, record button, audio gain controls, lens and transport control, high frame rate button and more.
- Interchangeable lens mount with B4 mount included as standard. Optional EF, PL and F mount available separately.
- Status display for quickly checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels.
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard 4 pin 12V DC power connection.
- Built in high quality stereo microphones for recording sound.
- 4 inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings.
- Blackmagic SDI Control Protocol for external control or iPad control via Bluetooth®, 2 x 2.5mm LANC for lens and record control.
Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Accessories
- Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter.
- Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter.
- ATEM Camera Control Panel (available in 2018).
- Blackmagic URSA Broadcast Shoulder Kit features built in rosettes, rail mounts, viewfinder mount, integrated tripod quick lock release and top handle.
- Blackmagic URSA Viewfinder is a high resolution viewfinder that includes a full HD OLED display and true glass optics for perfect focus.
- Blackmagic URSA Studio Viewfinder featuring 7” screen, variable tension mounting points, grab handles, external controls and more.
- URSA VLock Battery Plate provides a VLock compatible plate for attaching third party batteries.
- Interchangeable EF, F and PL lens mounts.
Blackmagic Design Introduces New Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter and Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter
Now customers can extend and power cameras from up to 2 km away, all over a single SMPTE fibre optic cable.
February 1, 2018 – Blackmagic Design today announced the all new Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter and Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter which convert standard television industry connections for video, audio, power, talkback, tally and more into a single SMPTE hybrid electrical and fibre optic cable. This allows cameras to be placed up to 2 km away from a studio or outside broadcast truck using a single cable.
- Converts all essential connections and full camera power into a single convenient SMPTE hybrid electrical and fibre optic cable that can be run long distances up to 2 km away.
- Uses a standard SMPTE 311M hybrid electrical and fibre optic cable with a standard SMPTE 304 connector on each end.
- The Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter provides an industry standard 200 volts of power to the camera converter stepped down at the camera end and made available to the camera and accessories via standard 12 volt connections.
- The Camera Fiber Converter also adds standard studio camera controls to the back of the camera and includes a V mount plate on the top.
- The converters feature the latest 12G-SDI, supporting HD and Ultra HD formats up to 2160p60 and 3 independent return HD feeds, full remote camera control, PTZ, and Ethernet.
- The converters feature two dual channel intercoms with 5 pin XLR connections for professional talkback headsets, a redundant back up intercom, a 10 pin connection for tracker talkback and a tally output.
- Communication between the two converters is via standard 10G Ethernet. That means all video, return feeds, talkback, tally, camera control and lens control are IP based.
Web producers, professional AV customers, houses of worship and educators can now afford to use the same high end broadcast technology that professional broadcasters use! The Blackmagic Camera Fiber Converter is available to order now, as is the Blackmagic Studio Fiber Converter, from Broadcast Bruce!
ATEM Camera Control Panel
To complete the live production solution, Blackmagic Design today also announced a new ATEM Camera Control Panel, which is a compact remote camera control unit designed to control up to four different URSA Broadcast, URSA Mini, Blackmagic Studio or Blackmagic Micro Studio cameras. The ATEM Camera Control Panel works with any ATEM live production switcher and features a large LCD screen, professional joystick, and control buttons that allow a single operator to monitor and adjust a wide range of technical parameters such as the black level, gain, colour balance, shutter speed and more. This leaves camera operators free to focus on the creative aspects of live production such as framing and composition. The ATEM Camera Control Panel will be available later this year.
The world’s most advanced HD and Ultra HD live production switcher with 4 M/E and 16 next generation ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyers for creating incredible Ultra HD programs!
February 1, 2018 – Blackmagic Design today announced the new ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, the world’s most advanced high frame rate Ultra HD 2160p60 switcher with 20 inputs, 4 M/Es and a massive 16 next generation ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyers. In addition, the ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K features 2 Ultra HD multi viewers, full 2D DVE, built in SuperSource compositing engines with 4 picture in picture DVEs, full re-synchronisation on each input and much more.
In addition, Blackmagic Design has also announced a free software upgrade that adds all of the same new features to the previous ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K model. That means customers using the ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K get twice as many mix effects rows and 16 new next generation ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyers added to their switcher, absolutely free.
ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K Key Features
- Full 4 M/E switcher with each M/E featuring 4 ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyers.
- Switcher can be switched between HD and Ultra HD video formats instantly.
- 2 x built in Ultra HD multi view allows 16 sources, 2 x previews and program.
- 20 x inputs for a total of 20 x 12G-SDI. All inputs feature auto re-sync.
- 1 x down converted program output.
- Built in media pool graphics storage for 64 RGBA Ultra HD stills and 360 frames of Ultra HD clips.
- Built in full motion 2D DVE with position, scale, resize and rotate features.
- Built in SuperSource allows 4 DVEs and 4 keys layered as an independent video source.
- 4 media players allow graphics to be connected to keyers for fill and key layering.
- Transitions include cut, mix, dip to color, SMPTE wipes and more.
- 16 new ATEM Advanced Chroma Keyers (4 per M/E row).
- 2 downstream keyers.
- 6 auxiliary outputs include front panel aux switching buttons and LCD screen for viewing.
- Built in audio mixer live mixes embedded audio from all video inputs and independent audio inputs.
- Balanced XLR stereo analog audio inputs and 1 HiFi RCA stereo audio input into built in audio mixer.
- Audio mixer main and preview outputs onto balanced XLR audio outputs and on all video outputs.
- Internal sources include black, color bars, two color generators and media pool.
- Ethernet connection for control panel connection. Mac and Windows control panel software included.
- Compatible with all ATEM Broadcast Panel control panels when hardware panel is required.
- Black Burst and HD-Tri-Sync genlock input for integration into large systems.
- Compact 2 rack unit size is perfect for when a lot of power is required in a portable solution.
The ATEM 4 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K is available now from Broadcast Bruce. ATEM Switchers Update 7.3 is available now free of charge from Blackmagic Design Support for all existing ATEM 2 M/E Broadcast Studio 4K customers.
Newly designed, compact 1 M/E panel features updated layout and the latest advanced broadcast technology for working with all ATEM live production switchers.
February 1, 2018 – Blackmagic Design today announced the all new ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel, a new elegantly designed compact hardware control panel designed to work with all ATEM switchers. The ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel features the latest broadcast technology, smooth professional buttons, knobs, T-Bar fader and joystick, a built in LCD and more.
The ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel is designed to give customers a new elegantly designed control panel that ensures precise control over their ATEM live production switcher when producing complex live television programs with multiple cameras and sources. The compact size fits in a standard equipment rack, making it perfect for use in fly away kits, outside broadcast trucks, and at live events with limited space.
“The new ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel is exciting because it gives customers total control of up to 20 inputs and four mix effects rows, all in a compact design that can be taken virtually anywhere,” said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO. “The built in LCD along with the dynamic button screens, customisable colours and labels takes the ATEM 1 M/E Advanced to a whole new level of design and features for live production. We’ve worked hard to build a state of the art panel that will enable customers to work on their live programs faster and more accurately than ever before!”
The ATEM 1 M/E Advanced Panel is available at a new low price from Broadcast Bruce!
Follow Broadcast Bruce
...on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or wherever works to keep updated on industry announcements!
I am always looking to connect with industry professionals with a passion for the technologies and processes of video creation. If you are keen for a coffee and a chat about what you are seeing going on around you – some new technology or policy; its impact and implications – please feel free to reach out and connect. More ways to Contact Broadcast Bruce…