NDI® SDK Version 3.8 Released
Some of the most significant changes in NDI 3.8 are:
- NDI 3.8 introduces performance improvements across the board, both on Windows and the cross-platform libraries.
- The NDI Tools suite includes many improvements: Scan Converter now supports high frame-rate screen capture for game capture; likewise Studio Monitor has been updated to support high frame-rate playback; Virtual Input has separate signed drivers for Windows 10 and previous versions, allowing it to correctly run on all Windows versions.
- The Mac and Linux versions of NDI have noticeable performance improvements, and now support almost all of the same options as the Windows versions.
- Major focus on the optimisation of NDI discovery. Hundreds of sources on a network with hundreds of receivers coming and going at any time, running entirely without centralised servers, make discovery and notification complex. The new version introduces dramatic performance improvements in the way all of this is handled.
- Extended sample code, examples, better routing, and much more.
- Preparation for new capabilities to be revealed later in NDI v4.
All the major changes are listed at the end of the NDI SDK documentation. This release includes a new SDK, new NDI tools, new NDI®-HX drivers and new re-distributables for all platforms. Everything should compile and be compatible back to the first versions of NDI.
The use of the NDI SDK is subject to the license agreement, it’s important that you review and agree to it before you get started. Follow these links to the appropriate SDK and license agreement.
- Download Windows NDI SDK (includes support for the SDK on all OSs)
- Download Apple OSs NDI SDK
- Download Linux NDI SDK
- Download Embedded NDI SDK (beta)
- NDI® license agreement
If you would like to see some great examples of NDI in use, check out these user stories:
What NDI is: NewTek’s NDI is a royalty free IP technology for bi-directional transport of video, audio and data over standard networks. NDI is now the most widely adopted standard for IP-based video production with integration into thousands of products in the hands of millions of users.
Windows SDK Install Note: The Windows NDI SDK installation will offer the option to install the NDI v3.8 Tools Pack, a set of free utilities for IP-based production. The SDK installation also requires a restart of the system after completing, and may initiate it automatically even if you have elected to start the Tools Pack install. Just cancel the restart, and let the Tools Pack install complete, then restart your system.
NDI 4 Coming Soon…
Announced at NAB Show 2019 and coming later this year, NewTek and Vizrt unveiled NDI® 4 with breakthrough advancements including: dramatic performance and quality upgrades, high precision colour accuracy, revolutionary recording capabilities, and support for Unreal Engine.
NDI 4 boasts increased efficiencies across many areas that include improvements in video quality without an increase in bit-rate, support for a 16 bit video path, and many more input and output colours formats. NDI 4 provides support for a discovery server allowing for the use of a server or the cloud to coordinate and connect all sources. Also included is NDI|HX which is now fully integrated into the NDI Embedded SDK. Additionally, support for Epic Games Unreal Engine in NDI 4 makes it possible for apps created in Unreal to appear as NDI sources.
“The last video standard will be IP, and it’s our mission to make sure that we leverage every opportunity to bring the power of computers, software and networks with NDI to increase the speed and efficiency of video storytelling,” said Dr. Andrew Cross, president and CTO of NewTek. “NDI and computer networks give you infinitely more flexibility than you could have ever had in an SDI world. All NDI devices are connected and automatically discovered with every other, and our software-centric focus lets us develop revolutionary new approaches to things like NDI recording, where true multi-cam editing is now a reality.”Dr. Andrew Cross, president and CTO of NewTek
The NDI 4 SDK and NDI Tools are free downloads that will be available in Q2 2019 at www.ndicentral.com