Sonnet Solo10G Thunderbolt 2 Edition
Solo10G Thunderbolt 2 is a 10 Gigabit Ethernet Adaptor with NBASE-T Support for adding multi-Gigabit Ethernet connectivity to Mac or Windows computers with Thunderbolt 2 ports.
Blazing-Fast 10GBASE-T Connectivity at a Breakthrough Price for Thunderbolt 2
Video content creation and output has moved on from 1080p HD to 4K and beyond, ushering in 10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) as the new networking standard for post-production shared storage workgroups and other bandwidth-intensive workflows. On the infrastructure side, low-priced 10GbE switches with RJ45 (copper) have cut the cost of set up, resulting in very rapid adoption. The problem is, most computers aren’t equipped to get you connected. For computers with a Thunderbolt™ 2 port, there is now an equally affordable 10GbE adaptor—Sonnet’s Solo10G™ Thunderbolt 2 Edition, a powerfully simple solution for adding blazing-fast 10GBASE-T 10GbE network connectivity to Mac® and Windows®(1) computers with Thunderbolt 2 ports.
- Adds 10GBASE-T 10GbE Connectivity—Adds an RJ45 10 Gigabit Ethernet port to your computer with Thunderbolt 2 ports
- Cost-Effective—Low-cost adaptor connects to 10GbE infrastructure via inexpensive CAT 6 or CAT 6A cables at distances up to 55 or 100 meters, respectively
- 20Gbps Thunderbolt 2 Interface—Connects to any Thunderbolt 2 computer port, or at the end of a Thunderbolt 2 device daisy chain
- Supports NBASE-T Standard—5 Gb/s and 2.5 Gb/s speeds supported over inexpensive CAT 5e, or better, cabling at distances up to 100 meters
- Advanced Features—Audio Video Bridging (IEEE 802.1Qav, AVB) and Energy-Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az) supported
- Easy Setup—Configured through macOS Network control panel or Windows Device Manager
- Small and Silent—Adaptor is pocket-able and uses no fan, perfect for use in noise-sensitive environments
- Bus-Powered, Energy Efficient—Powered through its Thunderbolt connection, the Solo10G requires no power adaptor
- Rugged Construction—Aluminium enclosure withstands heavy use
- Thunderbolt Certified for Mac & Windows
Faster Transfers Across Existing Cabling with NBASE-T Support
Does your facility have CAT 5e wiring installed already? You can still get a great performance gain—from 250 to 500 percent over Gigabit Ethernet speed—without rewiring! The Solo10G adaptor also supports the NBASE-T™ industry-standard of 2.5G/5G link speeds, which enables greater than Gigabit Ethernet speeds over CAT 5e cabling when used with an NBASE-T compatible switch or router. This capability allows you to deploy the same adaptor across an organisation for users supported by different Ethernet cabling infrastructures.
Advanced Features, Intelligent Operation
The Solo10G Thunderbolt 2 Edition adaptor attains its high throughput performance and low host-CPU utilisation through functions such as flow control, 64-bit address support for systems using more than 4GB of physical memory; and stateless offloads such as TCP, UDP and IPv4 checksum offloading. These processes enable your computer to perform better while large files transfers or high I/O operations take place. This Sonnet adaptor supports Energy-Efficient Ethernet (IEEE 802.3az), which reduces the adaptor’s power demands on your computer.
Replaceable Captive Cable
Through the use of a captive cable, the Solo10G adaptor’s Thunderbolt connector remains firmly connected to it at all times. Should the cable ever break, it can easily be replaced with an approved replacement cable available from Sonnet or a Sonnet-authorised reseller.
Safe and Secure
The Solo10G Thunderbolt 2 Edition adaptor was engineered with security features essential to today’s users. Incorporating encryption in hardware, the Sonnet network adaptor is protected against malicious firmware modification which could enable covert computer access—instead, any unauthorised attempt to modify the firmware renders the adaptor inoperable. These security features prevent the Solo10G adaptor from being reprogrammed, except by a manufacturer’s update using a secure encryption key.
Audio Video Bridging (IEEE 802.1Qav, AVB) support makes the adaptor perfect for use in pro audio and video applications where synchronisation of data streams is critical.
Pocket-able, Bus-Powered, and Silent
Unlike the vast majority of 10GbE adaptors, the Solo10G is pocket-able—measuring a mere 3.1 inches wide by 4.5 inches deep by 1.1 inches tall—and bus-powered to enable truly portable use without a power adaptor. Due to the use of the latest technologies wrapped in a rugged aluminium case, Sonnet designed a cool-running adaptor that doesn’t need a fan, allowing silent and energy-efficient operation.
How simple? Connect the Solo 10G adaptor to your computer, connect the adaptor to the network switch or directly to 10GbE-enabled storage, and configure the adaptor’s settings through the macOS® Network control panel or Windows Device Manager.