Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio
Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve Studio delivers revolutionary tools for editing, colour correction, audio post and now visual effects, all in a single application!
DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
The DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard is designed for professional editors who need to work faster and turn around work quickly. More than just a simple keyboard, the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard has been designed as an alternative way to edit that’s much faster than a mouse because you can simultaneously use both hands at the same time! You also get an integrated search dial built right into the keyboard. Simply plug the keyboard into any USB‑C computer and you are ready to go! While most keys will work as a standard USB keyboard, the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard has been designed for DaVinci Resolve 16 to enable an editing experience that’s dramatically faster than previously possible. LEARN MORE
What’s New in DaVinci Resolve 16?
DaVinci Resolve 16 features a revolutionary new cut page specifically designed for editors that need to work quickly and on tight deadlines! The cut page isn’t about simplification, it’s about building a whole new powerful editing interface with professional tools that help you work faster. We’ve even borrowed some old concepts from the days of linear editing and completely modernised them for a high performance non-linear workflow. It’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen and we can’t wait to get your feedback!
But that’s not all, there are other powerful new features across the rest of the application. The new DaVinci Neural Engine uses machine learning to enable powerful new features such as facial recognition, speed warp, auto colour balancing and shot matching, object removal and more. New adjustment clips let you apply effects and grades to clips on the timeline below. The quick export menu has been added to all pages so you can output instantly or even direct upload to YouTube and Vimeo. The new GPU accelerated scopes provide more technical monitoring options than before. Plus, parts of the rendering engine have been rewritten so Fusion is dramatically faster. There is also a major update for Fairlight audio post production include new immersive 3D audio, elastic wave alignment for precisely syncing dialog replacement with video, new bus tracks, loudness meters, a foley sampler and much more! DaVinci Resolve 16 is a massive release with hundreds of features customers have asked for!
DaVinci Resolve 16 is available now for download from the Blackmagic Design web site
• DaVinci Neural Engine for AI and deep learning features.
• Dual timeline to edit and trim without zooming and scrolling.
• Source tape to review all clips as if they were a single tape.
• Trim interface to view both sides of an edit and trim.
• Intelligent edit modes to auto sync clips and edit.
• Timeline review playback speed based on clip length.
• Built in tools for retime, stabilization and transform.
• Render and upload directly to YouTube and Vimeo.
• Direct media import via buttons.
• Scale-able interface for working on laptop screens.
• Create projects with different frame rates and resolutions.
• Apply effects to multiple clips at the same time.
• DaVinci Neural Engine detects faces and auto creates bins.
• Frame rate conversions and motion estimation.
• Cut and Edit page image stabilisation.
• Curve editor ease in and out controls.
• Tape style audio scrubbing with pitch correction.
• Re-encode only changed files for faster rendering.
• Collaborate remotely with Frame.io integration.
• Improved GPU performance for Fusion 3D operations.
• Cross platform GPU accelerated tools.
• Accelerated mask operations including B-Spline and bitmap.
• Improved planar and tracker performance.
• Faster and user and smart cache.
• GPU accelerated scopes with advanced technical monitoring.
• Custom and HSL curves now feature histogram overlay.
• DaVinci Neural Engine auto colour and shot match.
• Synchronise SDI output to viewer zoom.
• Mix and master immersive 3D audio.
• Elastic wave audio alignment and retiming.
• Bus tracks with automation on timeline.
• Foley sampler, frequency analyser, dialog processor, FairlightFX.
• 500 royalty free foley sounds effects.
• Share markers and notes in collaboration workflows.
• Individual user cache for collaborative projects.
• Resolve FX plugins with timeline and keyframes.
When you need to work fast and you’re on a tight deadline, you need to use the cut page. Designed specifically for editors working on commercials, news and other short form, quick turn around projects, the cut page is all about speed. It’s an alternate edit page with a streamlined interface and revolutionary new tools that will help you work faster than ever. The cut page lets you import, edit, trim, add transitions, titles, automatically match colour, mix audio and more. Whether you’re delivering for broadcast or for YouTube, the cut page has everything you need to get the job done, all in one place!
Editing is about storytelling, creating a flow, and capturing the essence and emotion of a scene through the art of the cut. You need to cull through thousands of clips, find the perfect shots and create a seamless edit that propels the story forward. DaVinci Resolve is the world’s most advanced professional editing software. It’s both familiar and uniquely innovative, giving you the precision tools and performance you need to craft the perfect story!
Now it’s possible to bring feature film quality visual effects and motion graphics to any production! Whether you’re working on a Hollywood blockbuster, episodic television show, national commercial or independent film, Fusion gives you the power to create photorealistic visual effects, stunning motion graphics and incredible title sequences that completely immerse your audience. Best of all, it’s now part of DaVinci Resolve so you can switch from editing, colour or audio to visual effects and motion graphics with a single click!
Mood and feeling are dramatically affected by changes in colour. DaVinci Resolve goes far beyond basic colour “correction” and provides a world-class set of creative grading tools that let you manipulate light and colour in breathtaking ways that complement and help tell the story. As part of the creative team, colourists need to be able to quickly define “looks” for the scene and have real-time tools that help them turn raw images into beautiful expressions of cinematic artistry.
Audio is no longer an afterthought in post production! Sound elevates the emotional impact of the picture with stirring scores, clear dialog and incredible effects that make us feel like we’re part of the story. Now, for the first time ever, professional audio post production is fully integrated into a single application that gives sound editors, colourists, and video editors everything they need to seamlessly collaborate and create films and television shows that will be remembered for generations to come!
DaVinci Resolve is designed for collaboration from the ground up. Each artist gets a page with the dedicated tools and interfaces they need to get their specific job done. All of the work is tied together and managed by a powerful database, universal timeline and advanced image and sound processing engines. This makes it possible for editors, colourists, VFX artists, animators and sound engineers to work together simultaneously. With DaVinci Resolve, you no longer have to wait for the editor to lock picture before colour, effects and sound work can begin. Best of all, you no longer have to deal with importing and exporting files, translating projects, losing work, or conforming and managing changes. DaVinci Resolve is the only application in the world that lets everyone work together in parallel on the same project at the same time!
The new DaVinci Neural Engine uses state of the art deep neural networks and learning, along with artificial intelligence to power new features such as speed warp motion estimation for re-timing, super scale for up-scaling footage, auto colour and colour matching, facial recognition and more! The DaVinci Neural Engine is entirely cross-platform and uses the latest GPU innovations for AI and deep learning to provide unparalleled performance and quality. The DaVinci Neural Engine provides simple tools to solve complex, repetitive and time consuming problems. For example, it enables facial recognition to automatically sort and organise clips into bins based on people in the shot!
This update adds a new sync bin for working with multiple angles from different cameras on the cut page, new boring detector, close up edit mode now uses facial recognition, the ability to rename and re-use adjustment clips, better keyframe smoothing for position animations, improved CIE scopes, support for alpha channels when using ResolveFX and OpenFX plugins, and more. This update also supports full screen video playback on a second attached computer display, support for 96kHz and 192kHz audio sample rates, Please submit beta feedback on the Blackmagic Design forum. Download The Public Beta Today
- Sync Bin view which shows synced clip cutaways for the current shot on the timeline in a live multi-view for up to 9 cameras
- Support for automatically grouping shots from one camera by analysing timecode and camera number metadata
- Live overwrite from the Sync Bin multi-view where the desired camera number can be pressed on the keyboard and the cut away length can be adjusted live with the scroll dial
- Ability to extend the timeline from the Sync Bin view to easily find the next edit for your timeline
- Sync Clip window to perform timecode based, audio waveform based and in or out point based syncing for clips
- Smart Indicators on the timeline which show where the closest edit points are based on the playhead position
- Boring detector with timeline indicators to detect edits which are running too long
- Jump cut detector with timeline indicators for flash frames and jump cuts
- Close Up is now powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine to automatically identify faces in the clip and reframe the shot for a close up on the subject
- Support for a blade action in the toolbar
- Support for a new blended scroll mode in the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard that dynamically toggles between scroll and jog based
- Support for a new transition dialog to quickly find and apply the desired transition to the closest edit point using the scroll dial on the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Support for a new picture in picture mode to quickly apply a picture in picture edit by easily selecting the image quadrant using the scroll dial in the DaVinci Resolve Editor Keyboard
- Support for performing a slide edit by Alt/Option + dragging the timeline clip overlay
- Support for adding bins and moving clips between bins in the media pool
- Improved thumbnail clip hover behaviour when selecting and previewing source media in the viewer
- Support for always using embedded timecode for clip based formats even when using frame count timecode project setting
- Ability to copy and paste transitions across multiple edit points in the timeline
- Support for track name and track number burn-in and render tags
- Support for dragging adjustment clips to media pool
- Support for renaming adjustment clips in the inspector
- Support for showing or hiding individual panels using keyboard shortcuts
- Support for opening Final Cut Pro 7 XML files from Finder or Explorer to import media or timelines
- Improved performance when analysing clips for detecting and classifying people
- Improved easing behaviour when applying smoothness to position keyframes
- Improved results when syncing multicam clips and syncing video and audio clips using audio waveforms*
- Improved blade behaviour when there is a clip selection
- Support for reading media with super scale applied in the Media Pool
- Improved memory management on compositions with multiple input layers
- Improved memory management on multi-GPU systems
- Improved viewer interactivity and playback performance on single GPU systems
- Improved render all savers status display
- Support for ACEScg as a gamut option
- ResolveFX Stop Motion
- ResolveFX and OpenFX plugins can now process and modify the alpha channel
- Support for viewing flags applied on the current clip on the video monitoring output*
- Support for an option to update the shared node grade from a version stored in a gallery still
- Ability to paste a power window by appending to the existing windows from the Power Windows option menu
- Support for a user preference under Colour to restrict node navigation to colour corrector nodes and avoid mixer nodes and splitter and combiner nodes
- Improved CIE scopes with a 1976 u’v’ view and the ability to show an additional reference gamut
- Improved colour match processing powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine
- Ability to step the timeline wipe frame forward and back from the view menu and using the relevant shortcuts
- Support for previewing timeline clip grades from the gallery when live preview is enabled
- Support for 96 KHz and 192 KHz sample rates at a project level for DaVinci Resolve Studio
- Support for clipping indicator for main buses on the Fairlight mixer
- Support for enabling extended bounce tail duration from the option menu for audio clips with reverb and other tail effects
- Support for customising the tail duration threshold for reverb and other tail effects
- Support for automatically enabling Insert In for an audio track when manually patching track inputs
- Improved performance when loading and switching timelines
- Improved performance when generating waveform profiles for nested timelines
- Improved peak hold and decay behaviour for meters in FairlightFX plugins
- Support for displaying and persisting individual audio effect windows on top of other windows
Media and Delivery
- Ability to preserve video essence for faster rendering of uncompressed clips without content changes
- Support for decoding and encoding ProRes IMFs
- Support for decoding and encoding DNx Uncompressed half float formats
- Support for decoding IMA4 format audio in QuickTime clips
- Support for a preference to stop renders when a frame or clip cannot be processed
- Support for decoding floating point TIFF images
- Support for decoding DPX 10-bit RGBA files
- Improved performance when decoding H.264 and H.265 clips using GPU acceleration on AMD graphics cards
- Improved encoding to Panasonic SHV 8K with support for 50fps in DaVinci Resolve Studio
- Ability to disable video on Pro Tools and audio only exports
- Ability to render adaptive audio tracks as discrete mono channels
- Ability to export subtitles when exporting a timeline to Pro Tools using the Deliver page preset
- Support for rendering embedded audio timecode for synced audio clips when using the Pro Tools export preset
- Support for GPU accelerated debayering on CUDA systems when decoding ARRIRAW clips using the ARRI SDK Full Res debayer
- Improved Vimeo render settings with options for setting description, visibility and password for the uploaded video
- Support for a warning when exporting an IMF or DCP package with an incorrect audio track setup
- Support for decoding spanned AVCHD MTS clips
- Improved playback speed when decoding JPEG 2000 clips
- Improved performance when media managing long wav files
- Improved behaviour when rendering a single multi-channel audio track as individual wav files
- Improved ProRes 4444 playback performance
- Support for identifying and importing multiple Panasonic P2 shots in a single folder as separate clips
- Support for a full-screen viewer on an additional display on DaVinci Resolve Studio
- Ability to halve the current playback speed as well as playback at half, quarter and 1/8th speed using the Play Slow command
- Ability to repeat alternate frames for 48fps clips in Clip Attributes to emulate 24fps capture and playback
- Improved playback quality for variable frame rate QuickTime files
- Support for disabling unbuffered I/O for any Media Storage location on Mac systems
- Support for decoding ALAC files on Windows and Linux systems
- Support for an option to optimise projects in disk databases by Option/Alt right clicking a project in the project manager
- Support for accessing and editing project notes from the File menu
- Support for choosing the preferred network interface from the project server application when sharing databases and generating access keys
- General performance and stability improvements
Blackmagic Design RAW Codec
Blackmagic RAW is a revolutionary new and very modern codec that’s easier to use and much better quality than popular video formats, but with all the benefits of RAW recording. Featuring multiple new technologies, such as a new advanced de-mosaic algorithm, Blackmagic RAW gives you visually lossless images that are ideal for high resolution, high frame rate and high dynamic range workflows. Incredible image quality, extensive metadata support and highly optimised GPU and CPU accelerated processing make Blackmagic RAW the world’s first codec that can be used for acquisition, post production and finishing. Blackmagic RAW is a totally new design, plus it’s cross platform, freely available and includes a developer SDK so anyone can add support for Blackmagic RAW to their own software. LEARN MORE
In the video above, Grant Petty gives some great insight into the design and purpose behind Blackmagic RAW, but to really understand what it can do for you, download the RAW files available on the site, check out the Mac OS X player and update your DaVinci software to the latest release to start working with it TODAY! If you are game, the latest Camera Update is also now available for URSA Mini Pro and Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.
DaVinci Resolve Studio – Upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio for even more creative tools and options!
The free version of DaVinci Resolve has all of the professional editing, legendary colour correction and Fairlight audio tools you need for SD, HD and Ultra HD work at up to 60 frames per second. DaVinci Resolve Studio adds support for 4K and higher, along with frame rates up to 120 fps. It also includes dozens of additional image processing features and filters that are not in the free version. This includes film grain, temporal and spatial noise reduction, amazing new face enhancement tools, lens flares, lens distortion correction, optical quality blur and mist effects, deflicker, dust busting, warping and much more!
No Monthly Cloud Licensing – Own for half the cost of a cloud subscription!
Unlike cloud based software, DaVinci Resolve Studio does not require a connection to the internet and there are no monthly subscription fees. Now you can get DaVinci Resolve Studio for only A$419, which is 50% less than the cost of popular cloud subscriptions. Plus, you get full nonlinear editing, advanced colour correction, Fusion effects and motion graphics, and Fairlight audio tools, all included in the one easy to buy solution. It’s like getting 4 high end professional applications for the cost of one!
Get More About What’s New From Blackmagic:
Fully built in Fusion visual effects and motion graphics, incredible new Fairlight audio tools and nearly a hundred enhancements focused on speed and quality!
DaVinci Resolve now has full Fusion visual effects and motion graphics built in! The Fusion page gives you a complete 3D workspace with over 250 tools for compositing, vector paint, keying, rotoscoping, text animation, tracking, stabilisation, particles and more. With new Apple Metal and CUDA GPU processing, the Fusion page is faster than ever! Fairlight audio gets a massive upgrade with new ADR tools, audio normalisation, 3D panners, audio and video scrollers, a sound library database, and built in cross platform plug-ins such as reverb, hum removal, vocal channel and de-esser. There are also dozens of new features and improvements that editors and colourists have asked for. These include a new LUT browser, shared grades, multiple playheads, Super Scale HD to 8K up-rezzing, stacked timelines, on-screen annotations, subtitle and closed captioning tools, better keyboard customisation, new title templates and much more!
DaVinci Resolve includes everything professional editors need to cut blockbuster films, television shows, and commercials. It’s perfect for both offline and online editing. The high performance playback engine makes editing and trimming incredibly fast, even for processor intensive formats such as H.264 and RAW.
Fusion brings the world’s most advanced compositing software for visual effects artists and motion graphic animators right into DaVinci Resolve! So now you can create cinematic feature film quality visual effects and stunning broadcast motion graphic animations without having to switch software applications!
DaVinci Resolve has been used on more feature films and television shows than any other grading system! You get the industry’s most powerful primary and secondary correction tools, advanced curve editor, tracking and stabilisation, noise reduction and grain tools, ResolveFX and more.
With Fairlight audio built in, you get a complete digital audio workstation with professional mixer, automation, metering, monitoring, sample level editing, new ADR tools, a sound library database, native audio plug-ins and more! You can even mix down and master to multiple formats, including 3D audio space formats such as 5.1, 7.1 and even 22.2!
Media and Delivery
DaVinci Resolve makes importing, syncing and organising footage fast! Whether you’re going out to the web, tape, or theatrical distribution, DaVinci Resolve features everything you need to deliver projects in virtually any format! You’ll be able to get to work quickly and output files fast, so you’ll never miss a deadline!
Multi User Collaboration – Revolutionary tools for simultaneous editing, visual effects, colour correction and audio post!
DaVinci Resolve completely redefines post production workflows! Assistant editors can prepare footage while editors cut the picture, colourists grade the shots, effects artists work on VFX, and sound editors mix and finish audio, all in the same project at the same time! You no longer have to waste time conforming and you no longer have to wait for a locked edit before starting colour and audio work! That means picture editors, visual effects artists, colourists, and sound editors can now work in parallel, leaving more time for everyone to be creative!
New High Performance Playback Engine – Fly through edits and colour correction with up to 10x the performance!
DaVinci Resolve features an incredible new video playback engine with CPU and GPU optimisations, lower latency, faster UI refresh, support for Apple Metal, and more! These upgrades combine to make DaVinci Resolve faster and far more responsive than ever. Working on long timelines with thousands of clips is incredibly fluid and editing is even more precise. Scrubbing and playback are instant, often starting before you lift your fingers off the keyboard! Powerful acceleration for processor intensive formats, like H.264, makes it possible to edit 4K material on a laptop in real-time! Whether you’re working in HD or 4K, with ProRes, H.264 or even RAW images, DaVinci Resolve is completely responsive and fast enough to keep up with your every move!
Legendary DaVinci Quality – Unique YRGB 32-bit float image processing!
DaVinci Resolve’s Emmy™ award-winning image processing technology features deep 32-bit float processing combined with unique, patented YRGB colour science that processes luminance independent of colour. This allows you to adjust the luminance of video without re-balancing the colour of your highlights, midtones, or shadows! The massive internal colour space is also perfect for the latest HDR and wide colour gamut workflows.
Mac, Windows and Linux – The only post production solution that runs on all popular platforms!
DaVinci Resolve runs on all major platforms so you can use it at home or in a post facility on a Mac, at a broadcast facility running Windows, or a VFX studio on Linux. This gives you the freedom to use the platform of your choice, making it easy to integrate with your existing systems and workflows. If you’re running Red Hat or CentOS Linux, you can even build your own workstation using low cost motherboards, extremely fast processors, massive amounts of RAM and up to 8 GPUs. Imagine building your own super computer for incredible real time performance!
Open and Compatible – The world’s most compatible post production solution!
With all of the different workflows and systems out there, you need a post production solution that’s compatible and open enough to handle anything! DaVinci Resolve has been designed to work with all major file formats, media types, and post production software. You can use XML, EDLs, or AAF to move projects between DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, and Premiere Pro. Deep integration with Fusion makes it easy to send shots out for VFX work, or you can roundtrip with software such as After Effects. For audio, projects can easily be moved between DaVinci Resolve and ProTools. When you’re on a tight deadline, you can count on DaVinci Resolve to “just work!”
Hardware Control Panels – Work faster, be more creative and get absolute control!
When you have a client looking over your shoulder you need to work fast. DaVinci Resolve control panels are designed to give you fluid, hands-on control over multiple parameters at the same time, allowing you to create looks that are simply impossible with a standard mouse! All controls are logically placed near your natural hand positions and are made out of the highest quality materials. You get smooth, high resolution weighted trackballs, along with precision engineered knobs and dials that feature the perfect amount of resistance so you can accurately adjust any setting. DaVinci Resolve control panels let you instinctively touch every part of the image!