xMac Mini Server
Transform a Mac Mini with Thunderbolt Technology into a Full-Fledged PCIe Expandable, 1U Rack-mount Server with the xMac Mini Server!
Are you considering your options for a rack-mounted computer? Looking to replace an ageing Apple XServe system? For many applications, a Mac mini or Mac mini with OS X Server and Thunderbolt technology has all the power necessary to allow it to function as a full size server. But by itself, the Mac mini’s compact size and form factor can limit its potential. Most importantly, it does not provide slots for PCIe expansion cards necessary to increase its functionality and connectivity. Sonnet’s award-winning xMac mini Server PCIe 2.0 expansion system 1U rack-mount enclosure addresses these issues and expands a Mac mini’s potential in a big way.
Starting with our popular RackMac mini 1U rack-mount enclosure as a template, we created a specially-designed 1U rack enclosure to securely house your Mac mini, and provide it strategic airflow cooling. Then, inspired by the demand for our Echo Express line of Thunderbolt-to-PCIe card expansion systems, we added two PCIe 2.0 expansion slots (with integrated power supply and fans) that connect to the Mac mini via its Thunderbolt port, included a central power hub for the Mac mini and PCIe slots’ power supply, and finished by adding an additional Thunderbolt port for daisy chaining to other Thunderbolt devices. For added convenience, the front panel provides a USB 3.0 port and a power button while other Mac mini interface ports are extended to the back of the chassis and mounted on the rear panel for convenient interfacing of Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI and two USB 3.0 connections. The PCIe expansion slots power on and off in unison with the Mac mini. To support a wide range of popular mobile racks, carts and portable rack cases, the fourth generation xMac mini Server is just 17.75″ deep.
- Adds Connectivity and Capabilities to Mac mini: Connects two PCIe 2.0 slots via Thunderbolt technology to the Mac mini, supports high-performance expansion cards
- Server Room Ready: 1U rack-mount enclosure with user-replaceable power supply and fans, built-in cable management features
- Diverse PCIe Card Support: Supports Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, pro video capture and play-out, SAS/SATA RAID controllers, pro audio, and other PCIe cards
- Thunderbolt Interface: Maximum performance with Mac mini with Thunderbolt technology; backward compatible with Mac mini and other devices equipped with older generation Thunderbolt technology
- Upgrade-able: Upgrade to 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Technology with a replacement Thunderbolt interface card
- Supports Thunderbolt Expansion: Enables daisy chain connection of additional Thunderbolt technology devices through second Thunderbolt port
- Front Panel Operation: Front panel power button activates power switch on Mac mini; USB 3.0 port enables connection of keyboard, mouse, thumb drive, etc.
- Power for High Performance PCIe Cards: Integrated 150W power supply provides plenty of power for any cards you install; auxiliary PCIe power connector enables use of power hungry cards such as the Avid Pro Tools|HDX or the RED ROCKET
- Rear Panel Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI and two USB 3.0 ports are mounted at the rear of the chassis for easy connectivity
- Energy Efficient: Variable-speed fans automatically adjust to the unique needs of each configuration, and the auto power on/off feature ensures there is no energy wasted with cards powered on when the Mac mini is sleeping or off
- 5-Year Warranty Included at No Additional Cost: No extra charge for a 5-year warranty
Metadata Controller. Large-Capacity RAID Storage Server. Video Ingest Station. ProTools Multi-track Recording Rig.
Combine the rack mount functionality of Sonnet’s RackMac mini enclosure with the PCIe card capabilities of an Echo Express Thunderbolt 2-to-PCIe Card Expansion System to transform your Mac mini with Thunderbolt technology from a simple server to something much more.
Two Thunderbolt ports support daisy chaining of Thunderbolt peripherals, including backward compatibility with previous generation Thunderbolt devices.
Supports Wide Range of PCIe Cards
Enables use of pro video capture, audio interface, 8Gb Fibre Channel, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, and RAID controller cards.
Two PCIe Slots + Up-to-Date Connectivity
Two PCIe slots provide diverse expand-ability while pass-through USB 3.0, Gigabit Ethernet, and HDMI ports allow direct connectivity.
Air Cooled & Energy Efficient
Variable-speed, temperature-controlled fans cool installed cards, power supply, and Mac mini; now with quiet mode.
Central Power Hub
A central power hub for the computer and power supply for the PCIe slots provides energy for everything with one power cord.
Built to Rack and Go
The xMac mini Server is less than 18″ deep, perfect for a wide range of popular mobile racks, carts, and portable rack cases.
Thunderbolt Cable and ThunderLok™ Included
Sonnet includes a Thunderbolt cable to connect the xMac mini Server to your computer, and a ThunderLok Thunderbolt connector retainer clip(4) to secure the cable to the Echo chassis. Thunderbolt connectors are held in place by friction, which works well in situations where equipment remains undisturbed while operating. But when there’s a chance of movement nearby, there’s a chance the Thunderbolt cable can be unintentionally unplugged, possibly leading to loss of your work or data. Sonnet’s ThunderLok prevents accidental cable disconnections from the Echo chassis, and is easy to install and use—just slide it over one end of the cable, and then plug in the connector and secure it to the chassis by turning a thumbscrew. Because of its unique design, ThunderLok does not attach to the connector, but remains on the cable so it won’t get lost when not in use.
Contact Bruce or Check out Sonnet for Specs and More Information